Tuesday, February 19, 2008

SEO and .NET

In a recently chat with my friend José Papo we discuss about SEO and how can I make my blog more readable and searchable.

20 minutes after configure my Google Analitcs, Google WebMaster Tools and read his post about how to optimize sites for search engines (portuguese), I start to think how can I do this with .NET and its links, how can I help my customers with that.

Searching Amazon I found an intersting book, that is already in my wishlist for the next month:

  • Professional Search Engine Optimization with ASP.NET: A Developer's Guide to SEO (amazon) (wrox)
  • What you will learn from this book

    • Understand the criteria that influence search engine rankings
    • Create keyword-rich URLs using ASP.NET, ISAPI_Rewrite, and UrlRewriter.NET
    • Use HTTP Headers to properly indicate the status of web documents
    • Create optimized content and cope with duplicate content effectively
    • Avoid being the victim of black hat SEO techniques
    • Understand and implement geo-targeting and cloaking
    • Use site maps effectively—for users as well as search engines
    • SEO enhancements that can easily be applied to an existing web site
    • Build a search engine–friendly e-commerce catalog
    • In my recent projects a common requirement is how to make my site more searchable. How to change my links in ASP.NET to make them more compliance with search engines.

Just to define :

(Wiki) Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via "natural" ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results for targeted keywords.

I found an article that contains one way to do this :

Developing SEO friendly URLs with ASP NET 2.0 (link)

No comments: