Friday, February 22, 2008

Problems with SQL Server 2005 Remote Connection

During execution of my project I had to access my virtual environment with Visio to do a Reverse Engineering in my database, and I got this error :

Error: Microsoft SQL Native Client: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.

Here I got a SQL Server WorkGroup and to solve this problem use the following link:

How to configure SQL Server 2005 to allow remote connections (link)

Other important thing is to pay attention always remember to validate the server name when you creating a connection. Here I have a lot of Virtual Machines and sometimes the start up with the same name. Just pay attention, and if you have this case use the [IP]\[Instance_Name].

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One small problem with what is in the link. Doing what it says will not enable remote connections.

Willian Leite said...

Really? Works fine for me.

Any suggestions?